Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sketchbook Commission - Tyler James

For general info about my convention sketchbook's theme, click here.


This is the first of a couple sketches I picked up at the 2010 Baltimore Comic-Con.  A friend of mine found out that Tyler James was offering a deal through his website that the first fifty people that contacted him before the convention would get a free sketch card (the size of a baseball card) of a character of their choosing.  He would also do a full character sketch on 7x10.5 inch board for $10.  Well, I thought this was a real nice deal, and poking around his site I saw that he has a nice style, so I emailed him.  For the free sketch card I requested ROM and am quite pleased with it.



I think I'm going to hang this on the front of my ROM shortbox.  It's all like "WOAH! There's Spaceknights all up in this box! Watch yourself, human!"

For the commissioned sketch I asked him to do Hawkeye because I've been wanting to get a Hawkeye sketch and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.  I explained the concept of my sketchbook and sent him the site address and left the details up to him, like I always do.  The result is so cool, unexpected, and characteristically Hawkeye that I immediately fell in love with it!


As Tyler explained to me, "It's Hawkeye jumping out of someone else's car that he just drove off a cliff."  That is definitely something Hawkeye would do!  This baby's going up on my wall.  This is EXACTLY the type of action shot I was hoping for when I came up with the idea for this sketchbook!  I love all the stuff I've gotten, but I feel like this really hits the full "action" potential of the collection.  So thanks for the awesome sketch card and commission, Tyler!

You can all see Tyler's website and check out his projects over at TylerJamesComics.com

1 comment:

Tyler James said...

You're very welcome! Glad you like them, and hope to see you again at next year's show!