Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hawkeye Sayz: The Calling: Cthulhu Chronicles #1


Welcome back for another installment of Hawkeye Sayz, where Mini-Hawkeye provides short, spoiler-free reviews of recent comics that he swipes from my read pile. Today he'll be reviewing the first issue of BOOM! Studios' The Calling: Cthulhu Chronicles.


Not that long ago, BOOM! Studios was publishing these amazing books inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos (which is largely in the public domain), the best being Fall of Cthulhu.  Most of them were written by Michael Alan Nelson, an amazing horror writer and huge Lovecraft fan.  When Fall of Cthulhu ended there was a dry spell while BOOM! pushed into the realm of children's comics with their Disney/Pixar licensing deals.  While those titles are still selling well, they have finally returned to the dark depths of the abyss with a new Cthulhu book once again written by Michael Alan Nelson.

As soon as I found out there was a new Cthulhu book with Nelson writing I added it to my pull list.  Yeah, I'm a fan.  Understandably, I had high hopes for this book.  Quite frankly, this one issue is so much better than just about any Fall of Cthulhu issue that it's ridiculous.  Seriously, this is so good I actually exclaimed with glee at how scary it is.  Twice.  No joke.  Ask my wife, she was there giving me frightened looks.

Enough from me, lets hear what Hawkeye Sayz!


Dude, I told you it was scary!

If you're a fan of Cthulhu/Lovecraft or horror comics in general, do yourself a solid favor and pick this book up!

No comments: