Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hawkeye Sayz: Invincible Iron Man #25


Welcome back for another installment of Hawkeye Sayz, where Mini-Hawkeye provides short, spoiler-free reviews of recent comics that he swipes from my read pile. Today he'll be taking a look at Invincible Iron Man #25.

I haven't really been a fan of Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man series since... well... pretty much the first issue. There were a few parts that I liked here and there, but he makes these ridiculously long story arcs for starters. I mean seriously, a 12 part story arc? What the hell Universe shattering story are you telling that it takes you 12 parts? Armor Wars was only eight parts (if you include the epilogue, which I don't)! Sorry, I got off topic there.

Anyway, this is the first post-Siege Iron Man story. It sets up what Tony will be like since he did that thing to his brainz in the last Iron Man arc (I take "spoiler free" seriously). It is also the debut of the NEW IRON MAN ARMOR! Which got a rediculous amount of hype. There was a press release.

Seriously.

You see the cover to this issue? You see the armor? It's fucking new Iron Man armor. Add it to the shelf and move on.

Sorry, I got distracted again.

The main problem with this issue, and the series in general, is that Fraction tries to do this mix of comic book and movie continuity. It's like he's never read any Iron Man comics and just saw the movies. First movie: villain is Obadiah Stane. Fraction's comic: the new villain is Ezekiel Stane, Obadiah's son that came from who the fuck knows where. Second movie: villain is Justin Hammer. Fraction's comic: new villain is Justin Hammer's wife and daughter, who we've never seen before but are well established in the Marvel U. What is Justin Hammer's wife's name? Why would that matter, you ask? She's not a supervillain. Any old name could

It's Justine Hammer.

I. Shit. You. Not.

Bleh. Now I'm all pissed off and I think this post got away from me. Let's just see what Hawkeye Sayz.

No comments: