Sunday, March 25, 2007

From the Earth to the Moon

I picked up an (out of print) copy of From the Earth to the Moon, translated by one of the two guys that translated The Meteor Hunt. I'll probably have it finished today (it's going slow because the annotations are VERY interesting), but I couldn't wait to share with you one of my favorite quotes from the book. It's from the first chapter, just a few paragraphs in.

Now when an American has an idea, he looks for a second American to share it. When they become three, they elect a president and two secretaries. Four, they appoint an archivist, and now they're in business. Five, they call a general meeting, and the club is officially constituted.

This is beyond a doubt my favorite book. I get sucked into it every time I read it. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time I die I have it memorized cover-to-cover.

No comments: