Sunday, January 21, 2007

Cthulhu is Love


I thought I'd review this awesome book I picked up the other day. It's Cthulhu Tales by BOOM! Studios.

For anyone that loves Cthulhu, this is a must read. It contains six stories, each eight beautiful pages, of Cthulhu stories. In each, people are reacting to the coming of Cthulhu in different ways. Some don't directly mention the Old One, but the connection is definitely there. Each is written by a different author and illustrated by a different artist in a different style. There are extremely dark horror tales, along with a colorfully illustrated tale about a dysfunctional family for which the art only serves to make the story creepier. There is even a comedic take on Cthulhu from the angle of "the ex-girlfriend that won't leave me alone". I know that sounds stupid, but believe me, it is actually REALLY funny! To round it all out, in the style of Lovecraft's time, the last story is a limerick (and the art style matches perfectly with this method of storytelling).

All in all, I don't have a single bone to pick with this book. It is definitely one I will reread. The writing is great and it seams like they actually put a good deal of thought into picking an art style that matches the individual story being told.

I recommend this to anyone that loves Cthulhu, whether you are a comic book person or not. I think this is one that non-comic people could really like.

I picked it up on the second printing, and I should caution that although this is totally stand alone, there is a sequel coming out Jan 31 called "Cthulhu Tales: The Rising", so don't mix them up. It will feature the same group of writers, and I'm looking forward to it!

The book retails for $7.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

No comments: